is a privately owned website unaffiliated with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration or any other government agency.

Trucking Industry Guides:

Trucking Authority Checklist

Obtaining your trucking authority is a critical step for operating a commercial trucking business. Below is a checklist that provides a comprehensive guide to the necessary paperwork and steps to securing your authority and ensure compliance with regulatory standards.

FMCSA Registration – USDOT Number:

  • Application for a USDOT Number, the primary identifier for your company in regulatory databases.

Motor Carrier Operating Authority (MC Number)

  • Form OP-1: Application to request operating authority under the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).

Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)*

  • UCR Application: Registration required for carriers operating across state lines, supporting state motor carrier safety programs.
  • Checkout our Quickstart Filing section for more details on filing your UCRs.

BOC-3 Filing

  • BOC-3 Form: Designation of agents for service of process in each state where you operate or traverse.

Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT)

  • Form 2290: Proof of payment for the federal heavy vehicle use tax, required for vehicles weighing 55,000 pounds or more.

International Registration Plan (IRP)

  • IRP Application: Registration for apportioned license plates for trucks traveling in multiple states or jurisdictions.

International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA)

  • IFTA Application: Registration for a fuel tax license, allowing you to file a single fuel tax report covering all participating jurisdictions.

Insurance Requirements

  • Proof of Liability Insurance: Minimum amount varies depending on cargo but is generally between $750,000 and $5,000,000.
  • Cargo Insurance Proof: Required for household goods carriers and freight forwarders, with minimum requirements based on cargo type.

Driver Qualification Files

  • Maintain files on all drivers, including their CDL, medical card, records of violations, and employment history.

Drug and Alcohol Testing Program

  • Enrollment Proof: Registration in a DOT-compliant drug and alcohol testing program.
  • Policy Documentation: Written policies regarding the use and testing for drugs and alcohol.

Safety Management Plan

  • Documentation of your company’s safety protocols, driver training programs, and vehicle maintenance schedules.

Additional Considerations

  • State-Specific Requirements: Some states may have additional requirements, such as state-specific tax registrations or permits.
    Periodic Updates and Renewals: Keep track of renewal dates for your USDOT number, MC number, UCR, IRP, and IFTA accounts to maintain compliance.

Commercial Drivers License (CDL)

A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) is a specialized certification essential for operating heavy, large, or hazardous material transport vehicles in the United States.

It assures that drivers have the necessary skills and knowledge to handle commercial vehicles safely, complying with federal and state regulations.

CDLs are categorized into Class A, B, and C, each tailored to different types of vehicles and transportation needs. Obtaining a CDL involves passing written and practical tests, ensuring the driver meets rigorous safety and skill standards.

Obtaining Your USDOT#

Obtaining a USDOT number is a mandatory step for commercial vehicle operators engaged in interstate commerce or hauling hazardous materials within a state. It serves as a unique identifier for companies, facilitating monitoring and compliance with safety regulations.

The process involves registering with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), providing company information, and meeting specific safety and operational standards.

This registration is crucial for legal operation and participation in the national transport infrastructure.

Disclaimer – This website is operated by a private third-party provider offering service for a fee. This is a commercial solicitation and advertisement. We are NOT affiliated with any government authority.

Western Compliance Group is an independent corporation and is not affiliated with or part of the U.S. Department of Transportation. Paid Advertisement. Not associated with USDOT.

Quick Links